Friday, August 24, 2012

Weekend Movies: "Whoopsie Babies"

It's Friday night! TGIF? I'm not always sure about that, school is out. But once the rug rats FINALLY smash their tired little faces against their pillows, why not unwind with some cinematic therapy ( I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure if that's a real term, let alone an actual cure for frustration.). This weekend, I chose to offer you some of my favorite "Whoopsie Baby" films. "What is a whoopsie baby?" you ask."It wasn't self explanatory?", I reply.  Oh, I kid. A whoopsie baby is conceived by complete accident. Get it, now? WHOOPS. Well, as the mother of a whoopsie baby, I am an expert on the subject, at least that's what I decided while compiling this list. A [unplanned] baby changes everything.

Juno (2007) PG-13

Starring: Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jason Bateman,  and Jennifer Garner


Ahh, nothing like a good hipster, teen pregnancy movie to close your week. Written by Diablo Cody, Juno is the tale of the uber sarcastic title character and her sincere, albeit offbeat, quest to find the perfect home for her unborn child. Hilarity ensues, Michael Cera is, well, Michael Cera, and I guarantee when its over you'll be googling "Hamburger Phones".




For Keeps (1988) PG-13
Starring : MOLLY RINGWALD! Randill Batinkoff

"We're gonna be just like Darcy and Stan!" thought every 18 year old mom. Well, I cant promise that, but I can say this is one of Ringwald's best. She plays Darcy, a smart high school senior who after one night with her sweetheart, ends up pregnant.On the surface this is just a movie about unplanned pregnancy.It is a sweet little film with big messages. Abortion, marriage, post-partum depression; yea, Molly takes it there. With sugar-sweet red headed cuteness of course!



Riding In Cars With Boys (2001) PG-13

Starring: Drew Barrymore, Steve Zahn, James Woods

Remember when I said in my head I'm Beyonce? Well, in reality I'm Beverly Donofrio. Played by Barrymore, Beverly is a 15 year old spit fire with dreams of becoming a big time writer until she is impregnated by an idiot. Sounds AWFUL but trust me, this one is a gem. Full of heart and the perfect dose of reality, Riding in Cars With Boys can only be described as lovely.




Saved!(2004) PG-13

        Starring: Jena Malone, Mandy Moore, Macaulay Culkin


   I'm already chuckling to myself . Okay, here's the rough and dirty on this one. Jena Malone is a teen who while allowing her gay boyfriend to 'figure out' if he was, well, GAY becomes pregnant with his child. Oh,and did I mention they attend a Christianity based high school?  Mandy Moore's performance as a Jesus-loving version of any school's resident bitch rounds out the stellar cast of this satirical comedy. It's good, not so clean fun.



Knocked Up (2007) R


 Starring: Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl

Dear Judd Apatow,
You managed to make a Katherine Heigl movie that doesn't make me want to barf. I thought I should include a "whoopsie" not of  the teenage variety. For the three people (Yes, you too grandma) who haven't seen this movie, it's the classic story of (stoner) boy meets his total opposite and subsequently, does what the title says. It's an enjoyable movie for both moms and dads. And  heads up for those who are squeemish, two words: VAGINAL BIRTH. Don't say I didn't warn ya.




There you have it! I hope you get at least a few free hours this weekend to enjoy a damn movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment